What hoops are required to jump through to do contracting for U.S. businesses?
Posted: 30 March 2011 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
I'm just getting started
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-12-21

Just wondering if anybody here has done contracting for U.S.-based businesses, and if so, what does one need to do to be *allowed* to do work for them?

Specifically, working from *here* (Vancouver), creating content for a business in the US. No trips down there, everything done via email.

Posted: 04 April 2011 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
I'm just getting started
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-12-09

I’m glad you asked this question because I’ve been curious about this prospect too. I think to be able to do contract work in the USA, you need to first incorporate your writing business in Canada, then apply for a TN-1 visa. It’s a NAFTA visa for Canadian consultants who are looking to work with American companies but not needed to become a resident of the USA.

As far as incorporation goes, you’ll need to hire an attorney to help you draw up the incorporation and then you’ll probably need to find a different lawyer to help you apply your TN-1. I doubt that it is very difficult to get this accomplished if you’ve got the correct tech writing credentials and you’re not in a rush, but I imagine that you’re going to have to drop a lot of money to get yourself incorporated. 

Christopher Bolster